Tuesday, October 4, 2016

getting the blues @ Dressage at Devon!

Which is to say - I bought some stuff. Blue stuff. Oooh boy. Tho actually I only have very poor / minimal photographic evidence of said new stuff as yet, so... sorry?

this dog has the blues too
Perhaps more importantly tho - I managed to head up to Dressage at Devon for the first time ever last weekend! Made even better bc Stephanie was there working The Horse Of Course shop! Austen and I had heard from Alli, who went up the day prior, that the shop had a to-die-for selection of breeches too.

Plus. Ya know. Stephanie. So obviously we made the trek up and were not disappointed.

despite it being a dressage show, i managed to only take pictures of the Lipizzan stallions. uh, oops?
We bee-lined immediately for the tack shop, which happened to have an excellent view of the warm up rings. Mostly tho, it was all about hangin out with Stephanie and trying on alllll the clothes in her shop lol.

ready for the show ring?
Esp Austen, who played with all things gray shadbelly (plus obvi stock tie and helmet and belt) for the eventual PSG debut. For my part I picked up a vest (it was cold and rainy out!) plus a pair of breeches to be discussed more in-depth later. Oooh and some other blue things too. Like for my hands and for the horse's face. Hint.

doing the thing!
Oddly tho, it felt like we watched very little dressage haha. After exhausting the shop's resources we caught the Lipizzan demonstrations (which included some pretty nicely schooled stallions like the above, and some impressive but maybe borderline out of control stallions like the below lol), then headed off in search of food and wine (and more shopping, obvi).

white boy jumping!
Guys. Seriously tho. Idk what it was about this dressage show. Somehow it felt like WAY more of a party than literally any of the big events I've been to. Maybe bc it was Saturday night? Who knows lol. But. Well. Let's just say we had ourselves a good ol' time.

we may have been shushed by a couple DQs in the process
Tho lest you think we missed the actual competition itself (since I apparently missed taking any photos of it, oops), we caught a few rides through the Grand Prix Special test, and then all of the freestyles.

sadly none of the real horses sported red glittery hooves
Stephanie and Austen knew way more about the horses and riders in the field than I do - but that didn't make it any less enjoyable to watch. There was so much atmosphere, coupled with a little bit of a drizzle, it was really interesting to see how the horses handled it.

Or, perhaps more interestingly, it was intriguing to see how well some of these horses could still score even with some unfortunate moments in their tests.

i like this picture purely for the Charlie nose factor
Anyway tho, it was a really awesome time. I'd highly recommend both Dressage at Devon AND making time to meet up with Stephanie should either opportunity present itself to you lol. Or. Ya know. Just getting shitankered at your local dressage show. That's probably cool too ;)

all of the blue things?
More to come on the actual shopping part later, after I've had some time to mess around with my new play things. So far tho I'm pretty pleased!!

What's your favorite part of going to big shows? Is it the shopping? Or watching the competition? Or are you more into the tailgate scene?

ALSO. Don't forget your 2ptober baselines are due tomorrow!!!! It's shaping up to be an excellent contest, don't miss your chance to get in on it!

29 comments:

  1. All I have in my area is a feed store that carries some tack. So the few times I've gone to a big show (like the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto) I LOVE exploring the venders.
    I do plan to go to Devon at least once- it really isn't that far from me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you definitely should go!! it was my first time and i was very pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a good time! Can't wait to hear more about the shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just gotta get some pictures!!! (preferably with less charlie nose and more actual item in question, tho the nose is super cute!)

      Delete
  3. I really think a healthy combo of all three is the only valid way to celebrate a dressage show! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like the best way to experience a dressage show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it absolutely was! (even if we were maybe a little too noisy for our neighbors.... oops!)

      Delete
  5. Oooo sounds like the perfect day at DAD! can't wait to see what pretty new things you picked up - everything in that store was nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wish we had been able to coordinate to get all of us there together!! we will for fair hill tho!!

      Delete
  6. Easily tailgating. because alcohols and mingling.

    Also those boots are swoon worthy (yours)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha i love tail gating :) and those boots are my life. they've been getting near-daily use for a couple years now and just keep going!

      Delete
  7. I love going to Grand Prix dressage shows! The only downside is after you watch those amazing horses, they make eventing dressage seem pretty dull! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha yea well.... i mean. UL eventing dressage is impressive in that it's well beyond my own ability... it's still just 3rd-ish level tho. i keep trying to get Austen to run through one of the tests just for shits and giggles lol

      Delete
  8. I need more deets on the shopping asap 😉 haha. So jealous, looks like a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. details coming as soon as i get pics!!! (so might be a little while haha)

      Delete
  9. Looks so fun! This is a show that's on my bucket list to attend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a blast! and we only saw such a small part of it!!

      Delete
  10. You guys are a fun group at any event I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'd guess that's probably true about most of the bloggers out there! seems like such a good group, i had zero question about how fun it would be to meet Stephanie!

      Delete
  11. I would probably have to get shitanked at a Dressage show just because I'd really have no clue what the fuck was happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolz and why not, right? sounds like as good a way to experience dressage as any other ;)

      Delete
  12. God I want to go to a big show so bad. I have only been to one and it was YEARS ago

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG those horses are beautiful. And I love the blue things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am soooooooooooo glad you and Austen made the trek up!!! It was amazing to meet you both, and I have never had so much fun at a horse show!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have loved that! I'm into the Lippizans right now after having just read The Perfect Horse. Looks like you all had a blast.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You may need to enable third party cookies in your browser settings if you have trouble using this form.